New research shows that 1 in 12 of the 37 million vehicles on UK roads could have cloned registration plates.
Criminal gangs copying number plates are:
- Racking up speeding fines
- Incurring congestion charges
- Stealing fuel
- Involved in ramraids
More than 100,000 sets of number plates are stolen every year and modified to trick ANPR cameras or witnesses to a crime.
What do I do if My Vehicle is Cloned?
If you’re receiving fines or have been falsely accused of committing offences because you think your number plate has been cloned contact:
- The organisation issuing the accusations
In each case explain the situation and give as much information as you can.
Tips for Buying a Legitimate New Car
- Check for any signs that the car’s paperwork has been altered or is missing details or pages
- Pay for a vehicle history check
- Check the serial number and DVLA watermark on the vehicle’s V5 logbook
- Check the numbers in the logbook correspond to those etched onto the vehicle itself
How Can Telematics Benefit Your Fleet in this Situation?
Having a vehicle tracking system can help you in many ways if one of your fleet vehicles has its registration plate cloned.
Telematics can tell you:
- The exact location of the vehicle at the time of the offence
- The identity of the driver
- Internal and external recordings from dashcams
- The route they drove on the day of the offence
- The speed of the vehicle
- The driver’s daily performance data
- Historical data for up to three years
If vehicle registration cloning is an issue with your fleet or you generally want to know how vehicle tracking systems can greatly enhance fleet efficiency, go to www.cambriancards.com/telematics or call us free on 0800 6126132
Cambrian Fuel Card Services is an award-winning, family-run business with over 40 years in the industry. We provide a range of fuel cards and telematics solutions to businesses of all sizes throughout the UK.