Dangerous Driving and the Penalties
More than one third of UK drivers admit to speeding, according to a new study by Forbes Advisor. A further 53% admitted to having road-rage.
In extreme cases, these bad habits can be categorized as dangerous driving, resulting in fines, driving bans and even prison time. There are two main categories of driving offences: dangerous driving and careless/inconsiderate driving.
Some dangerous driving offences include:
- Racing or driving aggressively
- Ignoring traffic lights, signage or warnings from passengers
- Overtaking dangerously
- Driving when unfit to do so (Which includes being unable to see clearly, driving with an injury, not taking prescribed drugs or being sleepy)
- Driving under the influence of drinks or drugs (including prescription drugs)
- Knowingly driving a vehicle with a dangerous fault or unsafe load
Dangerous driving and the penalties for causing death include up to 14 years in prison, and a driving ban for a minimum of two years.
Examples of inconsiderate or careless driving include:
- Overtaking on the inside
- Driving too closely to another vehicle
- Driving through a red light by mistake
- Turning into the path of another vehicle
- Distracted driving
- Dazzling other drivers with headlights
- Unnecessarily slow driving or abrupt breaking
Penalties for causing death by careless driving include up to 5 years in prison and a driving ban for a minimum of one year.
Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is a separate offence but can also be considered dangerous or careless driving, depending on the circumstances.
Other offences include:
- Driving without a valid driving licence
- Driving without insurance
- Driving without an MOT
- Driving while disqualified
If you witness someone driving dangerously, the best thing you can do is to report it to the police. Telematics devices, such as dash cams, are designed to maximise the safety of the driver of the vehicle as well as those outside of it.
To find out more about our fuel cards click here – https://www.cambriancards.com/fuel-cards
To learn more about our telematics devices click here – https://www.cambriancards.com/telematics
You can read the article mentioned by Forbes Advisor here – https://www.forbes.com/uk/advisor/car-insurance/pet-driving-peeves/