How clean is your car?
New research shows that car interiors are a lot dirtier than other modes of public transport and public amenities.
Levels of toxic yeast were 60% higher than bus handrails. This type of bacteria causes eye, skin, throat and lung problems.
- 80% of cars had bacteria levels equivalent to four times that of a bus handrail
- 46% only clean when they need it
- 24% let rubbish pile up
Of the respondents who said they never clean their car:
57% men / 43% women
- 40% of cars had the same levels of bacteria as toilet flush handles, 20% had double.
- 700 different types of germs found
The average steering wheel has the equivalent germ levels as:
- 6x mobile phone screens
- 4x toilet flush handle
- 2x public elevator buttons